Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thanksgiving Traditions and a few Christmas ones too!


We have far more traditions for Christmas than we do for Thanksgiving. I am however, big on tradition. We almost always have the traditional turkey dinner. One of the things we have done over the years is spend the Thanksgiving Holiday with my hubby's family in a nearby city. If everyone comes there is 24 of us. The day is filled with lots of laughter, children, (his sis does foster care) and fun. Not to mention way too much food.
Something we have done, that I really enjoy is to put everyone's name in a bowl, pass it around the table, draw a name, and then talk about what we are thankful for about the person whose name we drew. Because families are not perfect and there is sometimes "drama " this "game" reconnects people and makes us all view a loved one through a different perspective. It is fun to hear what everyone shares and it just kinda gives you a warm fuzzy for the day.
Thanksgiving weekend is when I pull out the Christmas decorations. It takes days for me to decorate the house. I could open a store with the amount of christmas decor I have. Every room in the house changes for Christmas. It is almost like moving,packing away the everyday stuff and transforming each room for the Christmas season.
Another tradition we have, is playing Christmas music starting on Halloween. I think this started when my girls were very little and it snowed on halloween day. The girls thought it felt like Christmas so we pulled out the Christmas music and the tradition was born. My hubby thinks we are crazy but I even find him humming to the music now and then. We have several more Christmas traditions I will share later. What are your traditions? Link up with Is So Very Cheri for the party.
And Link up with Debra @ Bungalow for more Thanksgiving Sharing

9 comments:

  1. I love it. I start the music while I am decorating and play it every chance I get. I will also be doing a Traditions party for Chritsmas.

    cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditions are so important for families at the holidays. We always host Thanksgiving, and usually have between 24 and 32 people. I pretty much keep the menu standard -- I'd be in big trouble if i served a tofu turkey or brown rice instead of mashed potatoes!

    It's grand fun. And we may be related -- I also have WAY more Christmas decor than any sane woman should have. I dread the annual attic emptying as the boxes come down the stairs!

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tradition of passing around the names in a bowl! If you don't mind, I am going to "borrow" this idea and start it as a new tradition in our family this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very neat that we have the tradition of beginning the holiday music season on Halloween (technically the stroke of midnight on the 1st of November at our house), too!


    Oodles of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love traditions too! You have some really great ones. It's so important to remember all the things we have to be thankful for in the chaos of the holidays. We should all stop and count our blessings more! Thank you for sharing your family's traditions with us. May you be blessed with many more years of carrying on these traditions with those you love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank YOU for linking to the party!

    I don't think I ever heard of Christmas music at Halloween but snow can really bring out the nesting instinct. I'm sure you've created a wonderful memory for your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing about everyone's traditions. I should start listening to Christmas music early. I don't know why I don't. I love Christmas music & I have tons.

    I also love hearing about your Thanksgiving traditions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so fun when everyone can get together!!

    And Christmas music after Halloween..actually sounds fun to me too! ;D

    ReplyDelete