Sunday, May 16, 2010

Finally, the medallion tutorial

Remember this medallion?
 I think I promised to show you how I did it weeks ago. Then life just got crazy
(a new grand baby,  away helping with new grandbaby, 2 new staging jobs, a project at church, hubby broke his leg, a baby shower at our home for new grand baby, hubby's 98 yr old granny passed away....)  I'm sure you get the picture. "Life" has been happening around here. 
All that to say, here I am finally getting around to the tutorial.

      I picked up this grecian looking medallion at Lowe's

I knew that I wanted to do something different than the "norm" with it. Often times they are finished to look like plaster work or left as is. I wanted it to look more like the chandelier, to fit the style of our dining room which is more traditional.
So I took some of my favorite paints:


Oil rubbed bronze spray paint, Folk Art acrylic paints in burnt umber and antique gold and my favorite foam brush and stencil brush.

Here's where it gets tricky, meaning I have no "during pictures" so I will do my best with a good description from here.
I took the medallion and sprayed it all over with oil rubbed bronze paint.
After letting it dry for about 10 minutes (cuz I just couldn't wait) I took my stencil brush and dipped it into the antique gold paint and stippled it all over the medallion. I then took the cloth and wiped it off leaving only the gold in the cracks and crevices. I  excitedly took it out to the dining room and held it up to the chandy and ... I didn't like it. It just wasn't quite the best match. Since I am a bit of a perfectionist, I had to keep working to get it right.... enter burnt umber folk art paint. I tried stippling that into the cracks and crevices but ... didn't like that either... so I combined the two colors as shown here the antique gold mixed with the burnt umber
to get the color on the right


I used the foam brush and brushed it over the entire medallion and wiped it off with the cloth leaving the new color in all of the cracks and the end result....Perfection ( at least to me : )




I just love how it turned out! Though it sounds like it was a lengthy process, it took maybe a half an hour from start to finish.
I just kept thinking while I was experimenting to get the color right, that the worst that could happen was I would have to repaint with oil rubbed bronze and start all over. This thought helped me lose the fear of "messing it up" and just be creative. So I guess that is the lesson today... 
Where there is fear, there is no creativity!!
                         
Linking up to Metamorphasis Monday over at between naps on the porch and to sunday showcase party at "under the table and dreaming"




Visit thecsiproject.com
DIY Day @ ASPTLHookingupwithHoH



UndertheTableandDreaming Making

24 comments:

  1. Deb it is so gorgeous. But I don't know how you were even able to think straight to get this posted with everything going on in your life. So many big events at one time. God must have given you extra hours in the days during the past couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful and the paint job is gorgeous. Persevering made the end result even more beautiful. Love it! Hope life gives you a bit of a breather now. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful!!!! I would love to have one of those over my dining room table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning!
    I stumbled in here while browsing the net as am at home sick today §;-)

    Well, we have the same project. I will put a medallion on my kitchen chandelier. Hmmm... now you give me some idea to colour it.

    This is so beautiful.

    Have a pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! So creativity, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job it looks really great!
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out nice. And thanks for the tutorial. Be blessed. Cindy
    P.S. Sorry to hear about your hubby's grandmother. However, she lived a long time! My hubby's grandmother was 95 when she went to be with the Lord! A long time on this earth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful, you took the ordinary and made it extraordinary! Thanks for sharing, great tute too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way it turned out, Debbie! You really added some depth to it, too, with the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Thanks so much for all the info and pictures.

    Have a blessed week ~
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the depth of color on this. I did a medallion for my wall that I just posted this week. I used ORB too, but then just highlighted with gold to kind of match the frames of nearby pictures. Yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Debbie that looks amazing- i always see t hose at the store- and think to get one- i love them -how they make a cute chandelier or light look even better- A great touch-and good job on bronzing it.
    Just became a follower-look forward to much more inspiration-ideas. Great Blog -
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, you'v had some really big life changes is a short time span!!!
    Wow! And you came up with this great tutorial on just the subject I was looking for.
    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just did a tutorial last month on medallions too! Hahaha....here is the link! Ours look almost identical!

    http://themagicbrushinc.blogspot.com/2010/04/painting-ceiling-medallions-tutorial.html

    And....my 2 year old broke her leg!!!!! It stinks, doesn't it????

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so classy and fabulous! I love the color and your painting technique! Great job. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie, check out my blog. You have an award! Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Debbie! Just wanted to let you know I'll be featuring your medallion today! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks beautiful Debbie! I have the same one in our formal dining room. I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just came across your blog from DIY Day at SPTL. It caught my eye as I have just started on mine but mine is painted and on the ceiling!!! It blended in too much to the ceiling so I wanted to do something and I am going to use a mettallic glaze on it since I can't take it down. Thank you for showing me how great it will look when I am done!! You have a new follower now!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok...I have a project I am working on right now that I am going to do this to!! SO EXCITED!!!
    ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH I LOVE that! It's so rich looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great project! It looks so much richer than it did before. Thanks for linking it up!

    XOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete