Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Staging Series finale

When most people hear the phrase staging a home they immediately think of preparing the home's interior — painting, arranging furniture etc. While the interior is important, the home's exterior is an equally important (but often overlooked) home staging hot-spot.

Curb appeal is exactly what it sounds like. When potential buyers pull up to the curb in front of your home. It must create in them a feeling of "wow" I want to see what is onthe inside.
How do we do that?
Start by creating a list of items needing attention. Go out to the curb in front of your house wand jot down anything that needs attention.
Do the weeds need pulled? DO you need to mow the lawn or trim the shrubs.
If the home's paint is chipped or faded, give it a fresh coat.
If the door and shutters are different colors, you may want to make them the same color. Choose the color that's the more neutral of the two and standardize the color scheme.
Consider adding bark or rock to the flowerbeds.
Weather and season permitting, plant or pot some fresh flowers outside the front door. For simplicity, you might want to stick to potted plants. This will allow you to place them wherever you need them, and with less effort. Bright plants or flowers do a lot to enhance the entry.
Think "yellow" when adding plants to your home's entry. Yellow is Cheerful and very welcoming.
While there are so many more things I could add, I hope this has given you some food for thought and helped create a home that buyers would love. In addition, as many of you have mentioned, there is great info here for your home weather you are selling or not.

13 comments:

  1. Great springtime advice for freshening up any home too:) Loved this series, great information! Have a blessed day dear Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great series! I have a friend who is trying to sell a home right now that could use several of your tips. I'll be sure to send her your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, Debbie. I need to stage my front area...it's looking kind of pitiful and could use some perking up!
    Thanks for the ideas.

    Suzanne
    I have a question...how did you widen the center part of your blog so that less of the black and white is showing on the sides???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw you on SITS. I'm picking up the end of the series but I'm going to go back and read. Looks interesting. Thanks for your effort with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love home staging! It sure makes a a difference in the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Debbie for all the great information! I love the idea of using Yellow in the staging process. I will definitely be copying and pasteing this article for future reference.

    Blessings, joy and sunshine, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved this post! I try to live pretty much in a 'staged' house anyways...too many plants I know, but I like to make it pretty and comfortable!!!
    great posts...and just to answer your question...you are updating in my blog roll...wooo hooo!!!
    have a beautiful day my talented friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking about spring today and realizing how much my front porch has been neglected the last few months. :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, I love this post! Great ideas. I can't wait for our yellow daffoli's to push through! Thanks for the inspiration! I am going to go study the front of my house now!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some excellent tips! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. Also, thanks for spreading the word about my giveaway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Debbie! Love this post about staging. I'm always amazed when I look at homes for sale and the virtual tours (okay, it's my guilty pleasure!) at the lack of staging. It's really not hard and it brings faster and BETTER offers! Thanks for sharing your insights; you are right on the money!

    Thanks also for giving me a little sidebar action for my "Week of Books" giveaway in honor of surpassing 200 followers! Be sure to check out Thursday's book. It's a "goodie"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With spring starting this is a great time to use your tips and spruce up the front of the house. I know that my pots on the front porch need replacing and my front door could use a coat of fresh paint.

    ReplyDelete