Monday, November 1, 2010

What would you do with it?

I purchased this chair about a year ago for $3.23 at a place near me called Bargain Town. I  can see the hidden potential in this little chair. I thought it would be a cute little addition for a corner in the guest room. It has charm and lots of hidden potential so I set to work taking off the fabric.

Removing layer one, revealed this 
Then the next layer
And finally: bare wood

It was interesting that the back opening had a piece of cardboard (the "cardboard" was no ordinary cardboard either but I will save that tidbit for another post) to fill it in and then it was covered in fabric.  I guess it threw me a bit, so now I am not so sure how to cover it 
I do think I will sand the nicks out and paint it 
I had great plans for this chair, but here, one year later it sits in the garage (a thorn in the side of hubby) untouched. 
So my question is what would you do with it?

11 comments:

  1. I have just dropped in from Cottage Cozy. I am a Christian too, live in Australia and have 4 boys and a daughter, all grown up. I would paint the chair, black/white seem to be your colours and find a piece of material you like and cover it pronto. Dress her up, she'll feel loved and put her in the front hallway, a bedroom or the dining room and use her/ or give her away to someone who'll love her. Is that too much info...hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these challenges are fun. I'd probably paint it white and find a fun contemporary fabric for it (but then you'd have to have the right place for it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re-upholster with where you plan to use it in mid when you decide on colour scheme. It would be perfect in a bedroom I think. Look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cover it soon, and get it all ready to give to the HUBBY for Christmas:) hehe!

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a great chair, Debbie, with a lot of potential. I'd probably recover it along the lines of what was there, excpet with a fabric that works in your home. It would work great as an accent chair, as you say, but also a desk chair or an entry chair. I'd paint it whatever color works for the room/area you want to use it in, although a distressed black or glazed white would go well anywhere. I think the details in the legs call out for either distressing or glazing to show them off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd stain it dark and then paint a silvery color over the dark stain and then sand the edges to give it an old world look. Then I'd recover the seat with a plain linen upholstery. For the back I'd make a "removable" linen cover with a ruffled edge and perhaps a stenciled monogram or crest in dark paint. Hope this helps, fondly, Roberta
    http://con-tain-it.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What would I do? I'd leave it in the garage for at least another year, because I am a terrible procrastinator. Just kidding. I do agree that it would look gorgeous in a distressed finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. $3.23? That's amazing! I think a fresh coat of paint and some fun fabric would work wonders...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome deal!!!! Paint it...add some new updated fabric and enjoy it in your home!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd paint the wood a high gloss black, and cover the fabric with a textured zebra print. :) But I've been dying for a zebra chair lately so that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would recover it to match my house and put it in my guest room! It's very nice, great buy!!!!

    ReplyDelete