Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The weather outside is frightful... and a recipe

Did you start singing that song?  Actually it is so beautiful outside. The snow has been falling much of the day, I just finished all of my holiday baking and am off to wrap the last of the gifts. Listening to Bing and Frank belt out the Christmas tunes and thinking of my dad today. Hard to believe it has been a year since he passed. He would have hated the snow today but he would have loved the music.
He also would have loved munching on the sticky popcorn we made. It was one of his favorite Christmas goodies and he looked forward to it every year. It is a quick treat and really yummy too. 
Here is the Recipe for you. I like to put it in cellophane bags tied up with pretty ribbons and give to our neighbors.
Sticky Popcorn Treat
10-12 cups air popped popcorn(already popped)
1 cup whole pecans
1cup whole almonds
2 cups wide coconut(sometimes called ribbon coconut)
Put these items in a large bowl and set aside(i find that if you divide it all into 2 bowls it is easier to mix and coat)
1#real butter
2 2/3 C sugar
1c Karo Syrup
In large saucepan melt the butter, add sugar and karo syrup
stir over med heat. Once boiling boil for 3 minutes then remove from heat and pour over your popcorn, nuts and coconut. Stir until well coated. Pour out onto wax paper that has been sprayed with pam spray(important step) When slightly set eat and enjoy. this will not be hard like carmel corn but soft and gooey. If you prefer a crunchier texture you can boil the sugar mixture longer (5 min)


I am taking a posting break for a few days, so, 
Wishing you all a very Merry CHRISTmas

9 comments:

  1. I was just chomping on a similar yumminess. I may have to throw in some coconut next time... that sounds extra yummy.

    Merry CHRISTmas Debbie! I pray that it is abundantly blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, Debbie! No snow our way ~ yet. I think we might have flurries tonight/tomorrow but nothing major. Maybe the day after Christmas though. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family! I'm telling all the new grandma bloggy friends that I want to see pictures the day after! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it has been a year since your Dad passed away! I remember it so well! I felt your pain way down deep in my heart!

    Big hugs and many blessings thru this Christmas Season!

    Thanks for the recipe! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a yummy recipe! And perfect for this time of year! Sing loud!:) and just enjoy those sweet, precious memories of your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful! What a great gift idea too-thanks for sharing it!

    I hope that your Christmas is very Merry and that you enjoy the happiness and joy of this special season. See you in 2011!

    Blessings and best Christmas wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good and sticky and I bought a bag of air-popped popcorn at Trader Joe's cause they were out of their olive oil kind and I just might have to add this to it cause it's so darn dry...lol Happy Holidays Debbie! Fondly, Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Merry Christmas! May your stocking be filled with blessings, Debbie!

    Hugs, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMM! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Debbie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, the addition of that coconut sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete